As most of you currently know, cannabis resin is in truth an accumulation of trichomes secreted by the plant, which includes the very regarded cannabinoids and terpenes that give marijuana its distinct and distinctive aromas, flavours and effects. Coinciding with the steady raise in recognition of extractions and concentrates in current years, the resin production of a distinct strain or plant is a trait that is becoming additional valued by growers and extracts producers who refuse to invest time and work in the cultivation of plants with a little quantity of trichomes.
When to harvest marijuana plants according to trichome ripeness
Of course, this fascinating trait has a lot to do with the plant’s genetics. Parental crosses that create a huge quantity of resin have a substantially greater probability that their offspring also stand out in this division, so additional and additional breeders are now employing the most resinous strains readily available in their projects. Nonetheless, and regardless of the resin production “dictated” by the genetics of every single strain, you, as a grower, can use a quantity of tricks that will make your plants create additional trichomes, which eventually will imply improved buds with a additional intense aroma and a additional highly effective impact. Beneath we clarify some of these tricks, as nicely as other individuals that can assist you to raise your production of cannabinoids and terpenes.
In many of our articles we have currently talked about marijuana trichomes, as nicely as of the diverse varieties of trichomes that can be identified in cannabis. We have also observed how the colour of the glandular trichomes can assist us establish the plant’s maturity level, so that the majority of growers can comply with the rule of harvesting according to trichome ripeness rather of other significantly less dependable strategies. As the plant grows and increases its cannabinoid and terpene content material, the trichomes will adjust colour, letting you know when is the finest moment to harvest the plant, with its organoleptic and psychoactive (and also medicinal) properties at their peak.
It is believed that the plant produces resin (trichomes) as a defense mechanism against diverse threats, not only for the plant’s survival, but also to safeguard the seeds following the plant dies and they will have to stay dormant for the duration of the winter, waiting to germinate the following spring. The female plants of cannabis create many varieties of trichomes to a higher or lesser degree:
- Unicellular trichomes: They can be identified for the duration of the very first days of the plant’s life, in particular in the leaves. They are linked to temperature regulating functions, as nicely as transpiration reduction or water loss. They are comparable in shape to a little and fine hair.
- Cystolithic trichomes: Equivalent to the earlier trichomes, these also can be identified at a pretty early age, and have a comparable shape to the unicellular ones, with the only distinction that the cystolith is at the trichome’s base. The roughness of their surface is connected to a achievable defense against insects.
- Bulbous trichomes: Inside the glandular trichomes with a round shape, the bulbous are the smallest, with a size of 10-20 microns. They can be identified in all the components of the plant, even the stems.
- Sessile trichomes: They are little round glands of about 25 microns in diameter and with no any foot or stem. They can be identified in each leaves and anthers (in this case, their size will be bigger, of about 80 microns), and are the second biggest glandular trichomes in size.
- Glandular stalked trichomes: They are the most significant producers of cannabinoids and terpenes, so they are very appreciated by each growers and lovers of resin extractions. This is the form of trichomes you want to increase in your plants, simply because the flavours, aromas and effects of your flowers and extracts will rely on their quantity. Offered the many antibacterial, antifungal, and so forth. properties of the a variety of cannabinoids and terpenes, it is believed that the plant secrets these substances to safeguard the seeds that develop inside them, and which ought to be kept viable till spring, totally free of pests, fungi, illnesses, and even the sun’s UV-B rays.
Approaches to increase cannabis trichome production
Beneath we recommend many issues you can do to raise the resin production of your plants, irrespective of whether they are feminized, autoflowering, standard or clones. As you will see, on numerous occasions, it is about basic elements connected to the lighting technique, plant nutrition, and environmental situations inside the cultivation region.
It is crucial to opt for the appropriate develop lights, in particular if you want to get the most out of your plants. Generally, HPS or sodium-vapor lamps, have the reputation of getting the finest lights to cultivate cannabis, each simply because of their light spectrum and output, despite the fact that with the surge of new varieties of luminaires, growers are currently acquiring improved final results.
Certainly, the new CMH/LEC lighting kits provide improved advantages than the standard HPS lamps, thanks to a broader spectrum which contains UV-B rays, the form that are present in sunlight. The plants that bloom below these new lights, – as nicely as below subsequent generation new LED panels – create additional buds per square meter, and they also have a greater content material of terpenes and cannabinoids such as THC it is believed that 1 of its functions is to safeguard the plant of the sun’s UV-B rays, so submitting the plants to a UV-B rays supply will result in an raise in the production of this compound (years ago, some growers have been currently employing UV-B lights for their terrariums for the duration of the final couple of weeks of cultivation, in order to raise the trichomes production and the compounds created by and stored in them).
The distinction is significative scientific research have shown an raise of up to 28% in the THC levels of the studied plants, which is practically 1-third additional THC than when increasing with no the help of UV-B rays. The production of other cannabinoids (such as CBD) does not appear to be impacted, despite the fact that it has been reported a larger important oils content material, that is to say, terpenes. If you are interested in rising the terpene content material of your plants, do not miss our write-up on allelopathic plants and cannabis cultivation.
Cannabis and allelopathy
Nutrition of cannabis plants
A plant with a nutrient deficiency will not be in a position to attain its complete prospective, so suitable nutrition according to the corresponding stage of its life cycle is important to increase resin production. As a basic rule, and to guarantee a total nutrition schedule, the cannabis plant wants the following for the duration of flowering:
- Macronutrients, in particular phosphorus and potassium
- Vitamins and amino acids
These are frequently supplemented by some or other flowering stimulator, and in some situations, with microbial life and sugars and carbohydrates. Items such as Delta 9 by Cannabiogen, Guanodiff GD Booster, Plagron Sugar Royal, and Bio Technologies Inductor R, also assist to encourage resin production.
Lack of irrigation
It has been proved that subjecting plants to controlled hydric strain situations final results in a substantial raise in cannabinoids such as THC and CBD. Researchers have reported an raise in the production of these two compounds in their acid kind, of 12% and 13% respectively, which is fairly considerable. This study also showed a rise in the dry flowers’ weight compared to plants that are often watered. Nevertheless, this controlled drought technique for the duration of the flowering period does not appear to raise the production of trichomes, only that of some of the substances secreted by and stored in them.
Temperature and humidity
The develop space (and also drying space) temperature and humidity levels are two figuring out elements that can increase the production of glandular trichomes in the cannabis plant. The plants will not be in a position to effectively create at decrease temperatures, whilst if they are as well higher, each the resin production and high quality will be seriously impaired. As a result, if you want to maximize the quantity of resin, you need to have to use temperatures ranging from 18ºC (at evening) to 25ºC with the lights on, in particular for the duration of flowering (these values can be lowered a couple of degrees more than the final two-three weeks).
And a thing comparable can be stated of relative humidity. If it is as well low, it could be damaging to the plants, whilst if it is as well higher, it will have a damaging influence and market the look of fungi. That is why a relative humidity of about 50% is normally advised. Nevertheless, and in order to encourage the production of trichomes, this worth can be lowered for the duration of the final couple of weeks to 30%. To do this, you can either use an air conditioner unit (which also lowers the temperature) or a dehumidifier, but you will have to be pretty cautious with the latter, as it also generates hot air.
We hope that these basic tricks will assist you to obtain plants with greater amounts of trichomes we can assure you they operate in particular nicely when combining many – or ideally all – of them.
- The Impact of Light Spectrum on the Morphology and Cannabinoid Content material of Cannabis sativa L., Gianmaria Magagnini, Gianpaolo Grassi, Stiina Kotiranta
- UV-B radiation effects on photosynthesis, development and cannabinoid production of two Cannabis Sativa chemotypes, John Lydon, Alan H. Teramura, C. Benjamin Coffman
- Escalating Inflorescence Dry Weight and Cannabinoid Content material in Health-related Cannabis Working with Controlled Drought Pressure, Deron Michael Caplan, Mike Dixon, Youbin Zheng
- Chemical Ecology of Cannabis, Pate, D.W.