Cannabidiol, also known as CBD, is a non-psychoactive, endocannabinoid found in hemp plants. Nowadays, CBD is considered one of the most sought food supplements, most especially with the strike of major health issues and the pandemic this year. CBD oil for sale advertisements offers promising benefits such as helping relieve insomnia and anxiety. But can CBD ease your pain?
This article discusses the reasons why CBD can help ease one’s pain and the best ways to incorporate this food supplement in your daily routine.
How Does CBD Work?
Leaf Nation explains that CBD acts as an external source of cannabinoid that effectively interacts with the body’s endocannabinoid system (ECS). The ECS is a network of cannabinoid receptors working together that can directly or indirectly affect different body processes, such as pain perception, mood, appetite, and sleep.
This being said, here are ways on how CBD may help manage different types of pain:
Do you sometimes experience a pounding headache in one side of your head accompanied by visual issues? If so, you may be having a migraine, which can be debilitating.
Migraine is usually accompanied by other symptoms, including nausea and sensory disturbances. So, how can CBD help ease migraine pain? The analgesic, anticonvulsive, anti-inflammatory, and anti-emetic effects of CBD present a promising prophylactic and acute treatment of migraine.
Arthritis can significantly affect a persons’ life because of painful joints or joint stiffness, most especially among the elderly during the mornings. Just imagine even a soft, lightweight blanket can trigger arthritic pain. It just goes to show that joint pain can be debilitating as it may restrict the normal routine of patients. So, how can CBD help ease joint pain?
The Arthritis Foundation explains that studies showed that CBD may ease joint pain associated with arthritis. It’s believed that CBD potentially interacts with corticosteroids, which are usually prescribed to manage arthritis.
Back pain can be brought about by muscle tension, inflammation, or an underlying medical condition. CBD may combat chronic back pain and anxiety as it may reduce pain perception, providing full-body treatment and relaxation.
- Sports Injuries
Athletes and fitness enthusiasts may use CBD to ease pain related to sports injuries. The World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) removed CBD from the list of prohibited substances in 2018. Sports injuries include sprain, strain, and muscle tension due to intense pressure or sudden movement.
Aside from easing pain-related injuries, CBD may help promote faster muscle recovery after intense training. As previously mentioned, CBD has anti-inflammatory effects that help reduce swelling, pain, and symptoms of inflammation associated with muscle fatigue.
- Pain Perception
When a person is under stress, pain perception is heightened. CBD has anti-anxiety and relaxing effects, which help reduce the perception of pain. CBD indirectly affects the mood, wherein if your mind is calm and relaxed, the body follows. That’s why CBD may also help promote better sleep and focused thinking, distracting feeling of pain.
- Nerve Pain
Neuropathy, which is also called peripheral nerves, is a result of nerve damage outside the spinal cord and the brain. Numbness, weakness, and pain are the symptoms experienced by individuals suffering from neuropathy, which are usually felt on the hands and feet. Nerve pain also affects other body areas.
While CBD as a treatment for nerve pain or neuropathy has limited information, CBD shows promise in managing this type of pain. Because CBD has mild side effects, it can be a good alternative or adjunct treatment to traditional pain relievers, such as opioids.
Why Use CBD To Manage Pain
There are many reasons why CBD can be used as an adjunct treatment to pain. For one, CBD is a much safer and natural way to treat pain than most medications on the market. Also, CBD doesn’t cause adverse effects, unlike traditional pain medications.
Here are the other reasons why CBD should be considered as a supplement for pain management:
- Easy To Use: CBD oil is easy to use. You can take it under your tongue or sublingually. Also, other CBD forms are available, including capsules, tinctures, topicals, and edibles.
- Accessible: CBD can be ordered online or purchased in wellness stores or dispensaries.
- Affordable: CBD products are affordable than other pain medications. But you have to ensure that you only buy high-quality CBD to fully benefit from it.
- Improve Your Quality of Life: Without pain, you’re able to perform more tasks because nothing is restricting you. On the other hand, if you experience pain, you’re more likely to stay in bed all day, which affects productivity. CBD may help increase your productivity by easing pain, such as migraine, back pain, and arthritis.
How To Take CBD To Ease Pain
CBD can be taken in many forms. One of the quickest methods is the sublingual route since the oral mucosa or tissue is equipped with tiny blood vessels or capillaries that quickly absorb CBD. That’s why you can feel the effects within a few minutes after taking CBD oil or tincture under your tongue.
Here are the ways to take CBD:
- Vaping: For those who cannot tolerate taking CBD via sublingual route, vaping is another option, most especially for those who also want to quit smoking. Just like aerosol, vaping produces vapor consisting of cannabidiol without the tar, nicotine, and other harmful chemicals that are present in tobacco cigarettes or other e-liquid preparations.
- CBD Edibles: It’s a good idea to eat CBD edibles, like CBD gummies or CBD cookies for a fun CBD experience. You can add a few drops of CBD oil to meals and experience the effects after a couple of minutes.
- CBD Topicals: CBD topicals include balms, salves, lotions, and creams. They can be used in massage therapy to help reduce muscle tension and joint pain.
Yes, CBD can help ease your pain. Whether you have headache or migraine, back pain, arthritis, nerve pain, and other types of pain, CBD may help reduce pain perception through its anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties. You can experience pain relief by buying high-quality CBD products online or in brick-and-mortar stores.